Those of you who know me know I’m neurotic. I’m always second-guessing, worrying about things I have no control over and just, well, being me. This lovely characteristic of mine makes me hard to live with at times. When I found out that I was having a child in my late 30’s I worried how it would affect my daughter. Then in my early 40’s when I became pregnant with my son, I was in worry overload. After 17 years of parenting, I’m here to attest to any other parents that are like me out there….YOU WON’T HURT YOUR KIDS PSYCHES!
My last week has been a string of daily affirmations that I must be doing something right I’ll discuss all my wrongs in another post as a parent. If bragging parents get on your last nerve, you may want to quit reading here. Indulge me, and let me bask for one more moment in the “I haven’t screwed my kids up yet” glory!
- On Tuesday, my son was awarded for making the A honor roll all year. ALL YEAR!
- On Wednesday, my daughter was chosen to be the High School Television’s anchor AGAIN for her Senior year.
- On Thursday, my son was again awarded with…wait for it….the Outstanding 7th Grader for his entire SCHOOL! he also won 2 teacher’s awards for Teen Leadership and PRE-AP Math.
- On Friday, my son’s baseball team beat the team that has beat them all year long to win the City Championship.
- On Saturday, my daughter took the SAT and didn’t freak out!
- On Sunday, my son’s team won the Regional Championship and he batted in the winning run.
Yes, I can honestly say, for one shining week I have felt like a successful parent. My kids aren’t hooked on drugs; my daughter isn’t a teenage pregnancy statistic; they aren’t wildly popular in school, they’re just normal; and the teachers love them both! Even though their friends have labeled me a “hippie”. Life is good!